Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart

 

CATEGORY 

DETAILS 

Film OR Magazine 

Magazine 

Genre 

General Interest 

Target Audience (Be specific) 

Young adult females. (1520ish) 

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) 

My magazine's concept will be focused on fashion, beauty, and entertainment. I want to include fashion and beauty advice, makeup hacks, and global political issues affecting women today. It will consist of inspiring women of today that are leading examples in society. It will also show how you can use environmentally cruel free products and wear environmentally friendly clothes to make you feel and look good. 

How did you conceive the idea for this concept? 

I believe that young women can be beautiful and also be educated. I was inspired by other magazines such as Vogue, the Cosmopolitan, Elle, Vanity Fair, but I want to make a less mature magazine that is more for a teenage audience 

What do you believe is unique about your concept? 

I believe my concept is unique because I’m going to look at fashion and beauty from a different perspective, which means not your stereotypical magazine with models but how every type of young women can fulfill their inner beauty and gain the confidence to make positive changes in the world by helping the environment and feeling good while doing it! There’s no magazine out there doing this right now, so that would set me apart and make me unique. 

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? 

I believe this product will be of interest to my audience because it will focus on many topics that most young adult women are interested in. Who doesn’t like to make a difference in the world and looking good while doing it? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • How are you going to set yourself apart from those other magazines that inspired you? 

  • Are you doing politics or just global events? 

  • Changing to more environmental and tying that in with fashion, beauty, and entertainment would set you apart. 

  • When you mean unique do you mean like breaking the stereotype of just being beautiful or more of expression? 

  • Merging those two things would make me unique you unique if you were to consistently focus on the environment and cruelty- free makeup and clothes etc. 

  • Showing that the products and clothes you wear are good for the environment but also can make you feel and look good. 

  • This idea would set me apart because there’s no magazine like that on the market right now. 


Last week in class, I pitched my magazine idea to the class and got some great feedback to finalize my magazine concept. The original concept was a magazine focused on fashion, beauty, and entertainment. I wanted to include fashion and beauty advice, makeup hacks, and global world issues affecting women today, including inspiring women in society. I believe young women can be beautiful and educated. My product will be of interest to my audience because every young woman will find something to enjoy. After presenting to the class, I realized I was missing a huge factor, which was my concept’s uniqueness. I needed to find a way to set myself apart from the other magazines that inspired me. The feedback from my peers sparked some news ideas, impacted my vision, and I created a couple of revisions. They mentioned the idea of going an environmental route and tying that in with fashion, beauty, and entertainment. Merging those things would make me unique if I consistently focused on cruelty-free makeup products and clothes. Showing that the products and clothes you wear can be useful for the environment and make you feel more confident. My revised concept would include all of that. I want every young woman to fulfill their inner beauty and gain the confidence to make positive changes in the world by helping the environment and feeling good while doing it! There’s no magazine like this on the market right now, so that would set me apart and make me unique. I want young women to see that they can feel beautiful and confident while also making a positive impact in the world today. During a time of need and negativity, any positive change helps make a difference, and that is why I believe that my vision for this magazine would be powerful and unique. You can be beautiful, educated, and make a difference in the world just by making a few changes in your daily life and the goal of my magazine is to help all young women find that inner beauty and confidence in themselves.   

In the past couple of years, the magazine industry has been struggling. Technology is making it more difficult for the industry to thrive. The article “Magazine publishing trends for 2019” discusses this by stating how “The death of print has been predicted since the end of the last century. Instead, successful magazines have reinvented themselves as brands that serve their audience via a range of channels, of which print is but one.” However, the magazine readers in the U.S. has slightly increased in the past four years. According to Statista (1), “The estimated aggregate revenue of U.S. based periodical publishers has fallen sharply in the past decade from 46 billion U.S. dollars in 2007 to around 28 billion in 2017.” The print of the magazine has been projected to be dying out despite the slight increase. That is why my magazine concept is vital in creating a successful portfolio project; because of this decrease, the originality and uniqueness counts. Fall of 2020 has had many inflecting points, including the COVID-19 pandemic, the presidential election, and widespread protests against police brutality. The article “The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing” discusses five other leading black editors’ struggles of writing in the industry since COVID-19 hit. The article states, “We were all working from home, from our locations on the East Coast and in the Midwest, the Great Plains, and the West. Using e-mail and an online document to record the conversation, they shared some insights into the nuts and bolts of their Lives as editors, and they also let us in on some thoughts about how editors shape our literary culture.” Reading others’ viewpoints and taking every aspect of the modern life into account, I needed to find some way to create a magazine that would uplift people, specifically young women like me, and be unique enough to engage my readers by combining content, print, and digital balance. Although it may not be much, a little difference in a world full of negativity and a need for change is still a difference, and that is why I am very confident about my magazine concept.  


 https://go.gale.com/ps/retrieve.do?tabID=T002&resultListType=RESULT_LIST&searchResultsType=SingleTab&hitCount=99&searchType=BasicSearchForm&currentPosition=7&docId=GALE%7CA638300527&docType=Article&sort=Relevance&contentSegment=ZONE-MOD1&prodId=AONE&pageNum=1&contentSet=GALE%7CA638300527&searchId=R9&userGroupName=fl_sarhs&inPS=true


https://www.statista.com/topics/1265/magazines/ (1)


https://www.statista.com/statistics/208807/estimated-print-audience-of-popular-magazines/


https://www.ovidbell.com/magazine-publishing-trends-for-2020-the-alliance-of-print-and-digital/#:~:text=In%20short,%20the%20two%20major,digital%20balances%20that%20increase%20profitability


https://www.woodwing.com/en/blog/magazine-publishing-trends-for-2019






 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Production 8- Finalizing

To Team or Not to Team